THE FARM

Pearl Mountain is situated on the east-facing slopes of Paarl Mountain, providing a cooler climate as well as wonderful views of the Berg River Valley and surrounding areas.

The plot was originally settled by a blacksmith, Johann Jost Gunterlock, in 1747, just off the wagon trail which meandered along what is today the farm's eastern perimeter. Gunterlock's original buildings now host Blacksmith's Kitchen, and predate the Cape Dutch manor house by almost a century. It has been run as a working farm since 1752, being bought by Gideon Jacobus Retief in 1873 for the princely sum of 1200 Pounds. Five generations on, the farm is still owned and run by the Retief family. 

Apart from hosting the venue and restaurant the farm also produces two ranges of wine – Retief, and Stubborn Man – as well as olive oil, all under the Pearl Mountain label.